Sunday, April 6, 2008

A mad craving for dumplings.


Dragon art tea

Sometimes, quite inexplicably, I am struck with a rather intense desire for dumplings. I'm not sure what exactly it is about the little bundles of joy that I love best - perhaps the chewy skin, or the luscious fillings. I just know that from time to time, I would cut off my leg for some dumplings. Maybe I'm weird.

I've been on a quest to find some delicious dumplings in Columbus, and recently I've been hearing good things about Ying's Tea House & Yum Yum, in Clintonville. Seeing as how Clintonville is a mere 10 minute drive from our humble abode, and I was having one of my bouts inspired by Anthony Bourdain's trip into Shang Hai (oh god, soup dumplings... does anyone know of a place to procure good soup dumplings? Talk to me!), we made a trek down and enjoyed a lovely afternoon full of delicious dumpins!! Mmmm, Nom Nom Nom.


Steamed Shrimp Dumplings

I chose an assortment of dumplings - Steamed shrimp dumplings, San-xian dumplings, and steamed pork buns. They were all delicious, with perfect skin and supremely tasty fillings. Not to mention that Ying's is extremely adorable in every sense of the word- attractive oriental furnishings and lovely classical music playing attributed to a great dumpling experience.


San-Xian dumplings

And for the record, I also cannot resist a custard of any sort. From panna cotta, to creme brulee, to the humble Chinese egg-custard tart. When I realized that Ying's had these yummy morsels available, well, you can imagine my excitement. Dumplings AND egg-custard?! ZOMG!


Egg Custard Tart

These were quite good, in a standard probably previously frozen sort of way. Still, a nice way to finish off.

We had quite a nice lunch for less than $30 for the two of us, with Danny ordering sweet & sour chicken which he proclaimed to be better than average. I'd recommend this place for sure for those maddening dumpling cravings... I can't be the only one, can I?

Ying's Tea House & Yum Yum
4312 N High St
Clintonville, OH
11-8 M-F
11-9 S&S

2 comments:

Krillison said...

Those were some good dumplings. Dumplings tonight? I think you got me hooked on dumplings...

Bear said...

If you find the soup dumplings, drop me a line. I've got a friend who LOVES them and I'd love to surprise him by taking him somewhere that serves good ones!